Quickie lunch noms.
Whole Wheat Orzo w/ Meyer Lemon & Thyme
A quick, low calorie lunch for one that’s simple to toss together.
- ¼ cup whole wheat orzo, prepared according to package instructions (make sure to salt your water!)
- ½ cup cooked Quorn tenders
- 4-6 quartered cherry tomatoes
- 3-4 chopped kalamta olives
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon meyer lemon juice, plus the zest from the outside (about ¼-½ of the lemon is zested)
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- Dash of garlic powder
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons grated parmesan cheese
- In a small bowl whisk together the oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, water, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. I didn’t give exact measurements for these things because you use a small amount. Make it tasty to your specifications.
- When the orzo is done, toss it with… well, everything. I generally like to leave a little of each ingredient on the side to top my dish with because I eat with my eyes first. :)
- For those unfamiliar with meyer lemons, they are a little sweeter than regular lemons. The skin is much less bitter as well. Regular lemons would work just fine in its place, but I really like the taste of these.
- The veggies can be modified quite a bit. Throw in some cucumbers, peppers, chopped spinach. Change the thyme to basil. Change the lemon to lime and use cilantro. Try feta instead of parmesan. There are a lot of possibilities for customization here.
Gouda Monster http://www.goudamonster.com/