Greetings, humans. This is your friendly neighborhood Gouda Monster. You may remember me from such cookie recipes as Eyeball Butter Cookies and Chocolate Cherry Oatmeal Cookies. I have been out of the public eye for a time, lurking in the shadows and sharpening my teeth, but now I have returned to you with a gift of sweetness and simplicity. For all you coconut fans – chewy coconut cookies! Chomp chomp!
As is often the case in my kitchen, I find myself throwing things into a bowl with the hopes that the resulting concoction won’t be a total disaster. One afternoon I was craving cookies but I didn’t have many ingredients on hand to work with. In the back of my pantry I eyed a hermetic glass jar packed full of sweetened coconut and figured I’d roll with it. I’d never made coconut cookies before so it was going to be a fun experiment. Imagine my surprise when I had perfectly sweet, chewy cookies with a slightly crispy edge on my first attempt!
The following day I made them again, doubling the recipe so that I could hand them out to friends. The reviews I received were overwhelmingly positive, someone even going so far as to say they could see the endorphins being released from their brain as they ate them. That’s the kind of response I like to hear! Several people asked me for the recipe so I knew these would have to make their way onto my blog, pulling me out of my lengthy hiatus. Given how quickly this recipe comes together I think it will be a hit for parties or functions where you want to impress a group with a small amount of effort.
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 sticks room temperature butter, unsalted
- 2 teaspoons Ener-G egg replacer mixed with 3 tablespoons water (or 1 large egg)
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract (optional, but nice for a little more coconut oomph)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups coconut (I used a mix of shredded and shaved coconut for the textural interest)
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Fleur de sel for finishing (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Cream together butter and sugars until lighter in color.
- Add extracts and egg replacer (or egg) and beat for about 30 seconds. Stir in coconut.
- In a separate bowl whisk together flour, baking soda, and kosher salt. Add to the coconut mixtures in thirds, combining well after each addition.
- Using a melon baller or small cookie scoop, scoop out rounded balls of dough and place about 2 inches apart on parchment lined sheet.
- Bake for 17-19 minutes, or until the edges of the cookies just start to brown. Remove from oven and immediately sprinkle with fleur de sel if desired. Allow cookies to sit for 10 minutes before transferring to a rack to cool completely.
- For an extra decadent treat, drizzle or dip each cookie with tempered dark chocolate.